Cross Connection & Backflow Prevention
Walnut Valley Water District is committed to insuring a safe, high-quality, and reliable drinking water system. An important part of WVWD’s water quality program is backflow prevention.
What Is Backflow?
WVWD’s drinking water system is designed to keep water flowing to you. Backflow is water flowing in the opposite direction from its normal flow.
What Is A Cross Connection?
A cross connection is any actual or potential physical connection between a public water system, and any source of non-potable liquid, solid, or gas that could contaminate the drinking water supply.
Devices & Requirements
Backflow Theft Prevention
If your backflow prevention device is stolen, you will be without water until the backflow equipment is replaced, inspected, and certified.
To avoid additional cost and nuisance, the following is recommended:
This activity not only camouflages your device, but the metals are no longer considered clean scrap and are of less value to theft.
Hide a backflow prevention device as part of your landscape. Please ensure access for backflow prevention device maintenance.
Backflow equipment enclosures, cages, or other security devices are strongly recommended. This reduces the risk of theft and protects devices from being damaged or tampered with. Some plumbing or backflow testing companies are capable of installing security devices.
Important features include:
• Lock shields that safeguard the unit from bolt cutters,
• Enclosures should be powder coated or made of stainless steel to help prevent corrosion,
• No sharp edges or corners that may cause injury,
• Concrete pad to support and secure enclosure and prevent weeds or grass from growing into the assembly,
• The area must provide access for testing and service work.
Alternative Security Equipment
The combination of a telescoping arm that attaches to the backflow valve, anchored below grade with a concrete footing, may also help with theft prevention.
Fire Protection System
- OS & Y Stem protectors to prevent stem theft,
- By-pass valve locks to prevent water shutoff to remove the device.